Recommended Varieties / Hybrids
(H x H) = hirsutum x hirsutum, (H x B) = (hirsutum x barbadense)
Varieties / hybrids which were released by ANGRAU
GLOBAL POSITION OF COTTON:
1. Cotton producing countries (December, 2010-11)
Source: US Cotton Market Monthly Economic letter December, 2010
COTTON POSITION IN INDIA
1. Cotton production in India (2010-11)
Source : Cotton Advisory Board
Production Of Cotton
Import of Cotton
Export of Cotton
USES OF COTTON
- Cotton is used to make a number of textile products which include terrycloth for
highly absorbent bath towels and robes; denim for blue
jeans; chambray, popularly used in the manufacture of blue work shirts.
- Cotton is used in fishnets, coffee filters, tents, gunpowder, cotton
paper, and in book binding.
- The cottonseed which remains after the cotton is ginned is used to produce cottonseed
oil, which, after refining, can be consumed by humans like any other vegetable
- Absorbent cotton has medical, cosmetic and many other practical uses.