Cashew Cultivators Recommended for Different States of India
- 1. Cashew Growers are happy with good prices for the commodity but processors are
facing anxious moments.
- 2. A farmer who sold at Rs. 40-45 per Kg. in the last season now gets around Rs.
80-85 per Kg. This year crop is late by 4 to 5 weeks.
- 3. The Horticultural Research Station of the University of Horticultural Sciences
in Mangalore recommended the cultivation of NDR 2-1 variety of cashew in costal
Karnataka. The variety released by the Cashew Research Station of Kerala Agricultural
University was studied for 10 years in Ulal Research Station before recommending
the Variety for cultivation in Coastal Karnataka. The average yield of Cashew Nut
in this Variety is 21.4 kg. a tree and the seed size of this crop is also good.
- 4. Indian Exports of Cashew Kernels have ranged between 1 to 1.15 lakhs tonnes.
The average price fell to Rs. 268 /- Kg. from Rs. 277 a year ago.
- 5. For the Year 2009 -2010 India Exported 1, 08, 12 Metric Tonnes valued Rs. 3000
- 6. Indian imported 7, 52,854 tonnes of Raw Cashew Nuts during the 2009 -2010. The
average cost of imported raw cashew is Rs. 40 /- Kg.
- 1. Maharashtra tops in raw nut production followed by Andhra Pradesh, Orissa, Kerala,
Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Goa.
- 2. According to the Directorate of Cashew and Cocoa Development, under Ministry
of Agriculture, an estimated 8.7 lakh hectares are under Cashew cultivation.
- 3. An estimated four lakh tonnes of Cashew Kernel is produced in the country out
of which, 2.5 lakh tonnes (2/3 of India Production) is consumed in India
- 4. The other major consumers are the U.S., E.U, Japan, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong,
Singapore & Middle East Countries.
- 5. The world Cashew Kernel consumption is put at about 5.2 lakhs tonnes in 2010.
- 6. Cashew Kernel contains 47% Fat, 22% of Carbo- Hydrates & has rich source of Minerals
like Phosphorus & Iron. Nutritionally they standards for with Milk , Eggs and Meat
THE TOP 5 CASHEW NUT PRODUCING COUNTRIES
- 1. Vietnam
- 2. India
- 3. Nigeria
- 4. Cote d'Ivoire
- 5. Brazil
- 1. The Domestic Cashew Industry requires around 1.2 Million Tonnes of Raw of Cashew
a year to meet Export & Domestic Demand. At present Domestic output meets less than
50% of the requirement.
- 2. India is also major importer of raw cashew nuts for meeting its processing needs
and for export obligations from West Africa.
- 3. Kollam District in Kerala is the Cashew capital of the country.
GRADES & PRICES
Standard specifications for Indian Cashew Kernels for Export have been laid down
by Govt. of India under the Export (Quality Control & Inspection) Act 1963. The
Act prescribed 33 different grades of Cashew Kernels. Only 25 grades are commercially
available and export.
Prices quoted in dollar per lb for the top grade varieties. Approximate.